The Simple Appeal of Plain Dresses
Some days are red dress days. Other days are simply blue. There are little black dress days and long black dress days - and days when we just need a splash of colour in our lives. On all these days plain dresses lead the way with casual style and perfect simplicity.
What are the different types of basic dresses?
Call them plain or basic dresses, but really they’re anything but! While print dresses steal the show with stunning floral, spot, check or printed fabrics, plain dresses burst through ho-hum days with a rainbow of colour.
Plain dresses come to the party in a range of styles:
- Basic formal dress - the epitome of elegance in a wide range of colours
- Plain linen dress - featuring lightly textured fabrics in seasonal colours
- Plain Australian Cotton dresses - home grown casual style
- Basic black dress also known as the ‘LBD’ or the ‘little black dress’
- Basic day dress for easy everyday wearability
- Basic midi dress and basic maxi dress
- Plain dress with sleeves and plain sleeveless dresses
How do you style a plain dress?
Plain dresses are so easy to style! With no print in sight you can use colour, shape and texture in accessories to dial back or dress up a plain dress.
- A brightly coloured plain dress with a neutral shoe, matching bag and simplejewellery lets the colour attract all the attention. Whether it’s a cool teal, a red hot chilli or a blushing berry, your boldly coloured dress makes a clear statement.
- Choose shoes or bags with a touch of wow-factor if you want to liven up a plain black dress, a plain white dress or a plain dress in natural tones.
- Plain dresses in cut-out fabrics, with fluted sleeves and floaty silhouettes deliver sophisticated simplicity, so stay with the mood and choose muted shoes and bags.
- Choosing a plain dress in cooler weather is a great way to draw attention to your favourite jackets, coats and shackets!
What should you wear with a basic black dress?
A versatile plain black dress can transform from casual to formal in the blink of an eye. You can get out and about in a plain black dress with sneakers or slides for pared back simplicity, or add statement heels, jewellery and a stunning bag to elevate the glam factor.
A blazer takes your basic black dress to work and to dinner, while quilted and cropped length jackets paired with plain dresses and heels take you out for the night.
How do you accessorise a plain dress?
The essence of plain dresses is their ability to coordinate easily with all sorts of accessories. Accessories for plain dresses can be subtle or bold to suit the occasion and your mood.
- A plain dress provides the perfect backdrop to chunky statement jewellery, handbags with detailing and a classic hat or scarf.
- A plain dress with sleeves is the perfect choice with your favourite stand-out handbags, while a basic t-shirt dress needs low-key accessories to keep with the casual style.
- Add some jewellery for a subtle shine to plain dresses.
How do you find your size in plain dresses?
Whether you’re looking to buy basic dresses online or browsing in store at your nearest Sussan store, it’s so easy to find your size in plain dresses in the inclusive sizing range from size 6 to size 18.
Online shoppers can simply click on the plain dresses you like, then click on the What’s My Size icon. Read the Sussan Size Guide tips to see how to measure correctly, then look up the size chart to convert your measurements into your Sussan clothing size which spans dresses, pants, skirts and all tops.
Peruse our FAQ’s to find the answers to any questions you might have related to sizing, and you’re set to buy plain dresses in your perfect fit.